Monday, November 21, 2011

ABC4/CW30 shakeups

Several weeks ago viewers of Good Things Utah (ABC4) and The Daily Dish (CW30) said goodbye to Reagan Ledbetter. She felt that she was missing out on quite a few things with her boys and wanted to be a stay-at-home mom.  It was an agonizing decision for her to give up her career but in the end, she decided that family is first.  She could be with her sons in the morning before school, spend the summers with them and be available for her husband's roping competitions that normally are Friday - Sunday without having to take time off of work.

Reagan had been one of the original hosts of GTU (9 years) and TDD (1 year).  Her departure began a talent shakeup at both stations.  On her last day, it was announced that the producer of TDD was also leaving. A couple of weeks later, Marti Skold announced she was leaving for a job at News14 in Raleigh, NC so that she could be closer to her children and her husband's family.  Last week, Angie Larsen announced she was leaving for a position at Usana as the new Senior Manager of Corporate Relations.  This was stunning as she denied any plans for leaving only a few weeks prior when Marti Skold left.  Her stated reason is also spending time with her sons as she will now have a normal schedule. The exit of Marti and Angie left holes in the local morning newscast where Angie was an achor and Marti was the meteorologist.  This leaves Nicea Degering as the only original host remaining.

There were several weeks of tryouts for the shows with many promising candidates.  The first person chosen is Brianne Johnson.  She was the one person that I was really hoping would not be hired.  She does not have a journalism background so this is a huge learning curve for her.  Her nerves really got the best of her when she was trying out because her already squeaky voice was on "squeak overload" and her on-air persona was really fake.  This has calmed down somewhat now that she has been hired on full-time but the fakiness is really annoying. (I give her the benefit of the doubt that she may be a terrific person off camera.) It also does not help matters that Reagan was the warm and calming influence for Nicea and Brianne is somewhat of a sycophant.  I am not sure how the process will work for filling Angie's chair but my hope is for a journalist who is on GTU and sits in the morning anchor chair along with Don Hudson.

On the morning news broadcast, the new weather anchor is really lame.  Not sure if this is his normal personality or if the producers are trying to be "edgy".  Either way, Marti is sorely missed.  With Angie leaving, I decided to check out KSL's local morning newscast.  Considerably more professional and I enjoyed it enough that I will probably switch stations in the morning.  I will miss Don Hudson as he seems like a genuinely nice person.

On TDD, there was always a great back and forth between Nicea and Reagan because their close friendship off-air was very apparent on-air. Yes, they had scripts but they mainly just riffed it which was refreshing.  The show has become really boring and lifeless without Reagan.  I also dislike Nicea reading the FB comments as she has a really bad tendency to summarize rather than read the actual post, sometimes losing the meaning of the original post. Reagan just simply read the post on-air and would sometimes comment if she agreed or disagreed, always in a very polite way.  Nicea can sometimes come off as being a bit nasty. At this point, I see no reason to continue watching TDD and took it off of the DVR schedule.  I will, however, miss Don Hudson and Brian Carlson in the "Dishing with the Dudes" segments.

The rumors on FB suggest that Angie, Marti and the TDD producer were actually pushed out. Management did not do themselves any favors by suggesting that all of the changes were "merely a coincidence".  It is so unfortunate that two really great shows have gone downhill so quickly from "must see TV" to "if I am really, really bored TV".  As a viewer, I do not blame Reagan in any way because her choice was merely a catalyst for the changes that followed.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you on ALL of this, I LOVE Angie and Marti and I am so sad that they are no longer a part of the team. I do not watch it anymore, I loved Dishing with the Dudes with Don and Brian, I have met Nicea she was really nice so I cannot say anything bad about her. I do miss the old crew and I would like to know why CH. 4 never came out with why they did not renew there contracts. FRUSTRATING!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you, SSBenjamins. I have been watching Fresh Living on KUTV and Studio 5 on KSL. Alecia (Chic on a Shoestring) has moved to KUTV and Kim Giles (Life Coach) is now at KSL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard from a former ABC4 person that Reagan's contract was not renewed and we all know that the same is true for Angie and Marti. Why would anyone give up a great salary that they only work 2 hours a day and stay at home when their kids are in school. I know she told everyone that but we all can see with this economy she was not asked to stay. I'm not sure why they kept Nicea or why she was the "golden child" but that seems the case. I agree that Brianne is just not fun to watch or listen to. I have completely stopped watching the program. This is all managements doing. They used to be in 2nd place with the ratings but now they are so far behind that I don't know if this station will survive much longer. Why doesn't someone hold the local management responsible for driving out such great talent? That is the question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't stand the new changes. I don't watch GTU hardly ever anymore. Just like other viewers, I watch it if there's nothing else on. I'm really sad about all the changes. It was sad when Reagan left but with the others leaving it was just too much for me to stand. However, I love STUDIO 5 and will continue to watch that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I worked at ABC4 when Angie was just a traffic reporter for the morning news, and when Regan was hired on as the Morning Anchor of GDU. Angie, Regan, and Nicea are genuinely great people they were not prima donnas like the likes of Kimberly Perkins and Randall Carlisle. I feel bad that ABC4 has gone down hill, they just don't have the same quality they had! I loved working for them and wish I could go back there soon. But really sad Regan and Angie resort to doing Commercials for Cars and Health care stuff!

    ReplyDelete