Thursday, November 3, 2011

Utah's Arid Climate Creates Havoc - Skin

The arid climate in Utah is fantastic as compared to the east coast.  Heat without humidity makes the high temps in the summer more tolerable, even for a polar bear such as myself.  However, it dries out your skin.  Which for me, means that my skin goes into oil-producing overdrive.  So, I need moisturizing skin products that are oil free.  I also need scrubs that do not irritate the skin.  It seems as though every time I found a great facial scrub, it would suddenly become difficult to obtain.  I did some research and discovered a product that acts as a gentle scrub but is actually not a scrub. It is a Clarisonic device.  The Clairosonic device cleans your skin and basically preps it for the products you apply after cleansing. It is manufactured by the same company that makes the Sonicare toothbrushes and it uses the same technology.

Full disclosure - I have naturally oily skin and because my skin burns easily, I wear sunscreen 365 days per year.

I ordered a unit from QVC (Item A218419).  While I did not need the Bliss Face & Body Collection products, I ordered this from QVC because I had thirty days to use it and if I did not like it, they have a no questions asked return policy with full refund and I just pay for return shipping.  I would not be able to do this at a department store.  I chose a solid purple color as some of the reviewers on QVC complained about the cherry blossom units, stating that the design appeared to be peeling.

The QVC set included three brush heads (deep pore, body and sensitive), a Clarisonic Plus unit, a charger and the Bliss collection (face cleanser, body wash and body moisturizer). I use the deep pore brush head on my face and then I use the body brush head.  Switching out the brush heads is really easy, even in the shower.  I apply the cleansers to my skin first and then use the brush as it is more effective than applying the cleanser to the brush first.  I have used the Bliss products and my own products and see no difference based upon cleansing product.  The first few times, I only did one half of my face and body so that I could determine if the Clarisonic was making any difference or just expensive hype.  The best comparison example is using the Sonicare toothbrush.  The Sonicare gets your teeth significantly cleaner than using a regular toothbrush.  Your teeth have a really slick feel to them, similar to how they feel after a professional cleaning at the dentist.  This is what happens to your skin.  If feels as though you have used really good body and face scrubs but you are only using cleanser.  The body parts where I see the most benefit are my face, decollete, upper arms and thighs. My skin is softer and my face is not freaking out with excess oil.  I also have to use less moisturizer when I get out of the shower.

It is a somewhat expensive product but if you total the cost of face and body scrub for a year, you are about even so it was worth it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment