Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Search for a Stylist

Every time we move to a new place, the search is on for a new hair stylist. Skip works in the transportation industry and this means that he usually has few female coworkers from which to obtain salon referrals. Therefore, the search is up to me.  Engrbabe's first rule, if you do not have an internet presence, I cannot find you.

The first salon I found was Sanctuary Salon & Day Spa, located at Fashion Place Mall. They have two locations but this was the location we tried. Pricey and most of the staff that I observed were unprofessional and immature.  The stylist we found was ok.  Skip went twice and I went once.  I was unimpressed.  Then, the stylist left.  They called to notify Skip that she was gone (left voicemail).  When he called to schedule a new appointment, he was told that because he "failed to keep his appointment", he would need to leave credit card information on file and be charged for that appointment.  He had assumed it had been cancelled because his stylist had quit but this was not the case.  This salon was scratched off the list and he did not pay for the "missed appointment". 

The second salon I found was Kellie & Co. in Sandy. Receptionist did not greet us. The waiting area was very uncomfortable - hard wooden benches with no pillows.  The stylist did not listen during the consultation.  She was definitely on autopilot as she immediately picked up the clippers, which Skip specifically told her three times not to use, and ran them through the hair on the back of his head.  In order to "correct" this mistake, she cut his hair a short military cut.  He was very unhappy and describes his experience as "a scalping".  No way I was letting her touch my hair.

Third time was the charm.  I found Salon Dante & Day Spa in Union Square.  Kailee, who is actually a barber rather than a hair stylist, is great.  Skip likes her because she is friendly, cuts his hair the way he wants it and she also does traditional straight razor shaves.  I had an appointment yesterday and she did an excellent job.  My hair looks great and she did not spend any time pushing product or services.  This for me is a plus.  I have long natural hair and I only use vegan products, which most salons do not carry.  In addition, I refuse to have any chemical processes applied to my hair.  The chemical smells in salons make me sick enough as it is so I do not need additional chemicals applied to my head.  I do not purchase spa services so I cannot attest to whether they are worth the money or not.

If you live in or near Sandy, I would highly recommend giving this salon a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment