Monday, November 7, 2011

Search for a Vet

We have fur babies in our family, one cat and one dog.  With the frequent relocations, it was easier to go with Banfield (Petsmart) because we could usually find one in relatively close proximity and transfer of medical records was simple.  The vets we had at each location varied from the competent doctor to the "are you sure this is for you?" doctor. SLC is our permanent home so I needed to find a new vet clinic.

My search criteria:  general medical, general dental, general surgery, hospital services, 24-hour care, boarding options, more than one vet on staff, well designed website and decent reviews. I found that Mountain View Animal Hospital met all of my criteria.  I had assumed that I would need their services for our elderly lab but the occasion rose that I needed them for our kitty.

Kitty was very ill.  I called and due to the emergency, they were able to get her in same day. This fantastic, especially since we were a new patient.  When we arrived, I was pleasantly surprised by the "cat entrance".  Not having to walk my very freaked out kitty past barking dogs was nice.  Despite living with a gentle and loving dog, she is very afraid of dogs. The staff at the reception desk greeted us immediately.  They were very friendly and warm.  Rachael (sp?) had me fill out paperwork and conversed with me while we were waiting to see Dr. Price.  When Dr. Price was ready, we were taken into the cat exam room.  There was a comfortable padded bench, something definitely lacking in the Banfield facilities.  After talking to me and examining Kitty, she took Kitty back for x-rays.  A staff member offered me a beverage - water or a Coke product.  Kitty immediately trusted Dr. Price and she was pretty good through everything (x-rays, medication injections, saline injection, etc.) until the very last treatment.  She was really unhappy about that treatment and I could hear her screaming.  When I freaked out, the vet tech ran back to find out what was happening and reassured me that Kitty was fine.  When Dr. Price explained the treatment, I understood why Kitty freaked out but that she was fine.  It was traumatizing but needed to be done or she would get worse.  Dr. Price and I discussed treatment going forward. They gave me a puppy pad in case she vomited in her cat carrier during the ride home.

Dr. Price called the next day (Saturday) to see how Kitty was doing.  She will be calling back today to report the additional lab test results.  I cannot say that I have ever had the doctor call me as follow up from any of the Banfield facilities.  Every person we interacted with on this visit was wonderful. We are definitely happy with Mountain View and will utilize their services in the future.  I will not hesitate to refer others to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment